Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Plans for the 600K

Don't chase the rabbits
One of the problems that I have had on the brevets so far is that I start off fast and then slow down. I think this is because I enjoy riding with the fast group. This didn't seem to hurt me too much on the 200K or 300K, but it was definitely a problem on the 400K. My plan for the 600K is to start off with a pace that I can maintain (and then actually maintain it). This means no chasing rabbits.

If I need a rest, rest on the bike
Another problem on the 400K was that my stops were too long. I did a good job on the 300K keeping my stops short. I need to try and do that on the 600K. No resting when I stop. If I need to rest, that means that I have been pushing myself too hard. I need to go faster by going slower. Fewer miles per hour but more hours per hour. Going 16 miles an hour for 2 hours does me no good if I need to rest for 45 minutes afterwards.

Don't run out of water
I ran out of water on one section of the 400K. This should not happen. I should always have extra water. Since my stops will be short, I shouldn't worry if I need to stop more often. On a hot day, it is almost impossible to rehydrate while riding. I need to make sure that I don't lose hydration--or at least make the loss as slow as possible.


No big meals, eat lightly but often
I still haven't worked on what I should be eating on these rides. I haven't tried any of the endurance meal replacement drinks like Perpetuem or Spiz. Here is what my research on exercise nutrition is telling me:
  • 250-350 calories per hour, don't try to replace all calories burned
  • Simple carbs take too much water to absorb
  • Mainly complex carbs
  • Maltodextrin is a complex carb that is absorbed very quickly
  • Some protein is good
  • Not too much fat
Unfortunately, I don't know of a food generally available in convenience stores that meets all of these criteria. I guess I'll have to wing it. I am going to try to avoid soda.

No comments: