Thursday, August 21, 2008

Helen to the rescue

I was watching the weather this afternoon at work. The forecast had called for scattered thundershowers and I was hoping to dodge them. I had avoided the rain in the morning and I was hoping my luck would hold. When I left work it looked like the worst of it had passed.

I made it about half way home when I suddenly had a flat. I pulled off the road and saw that the front tire was entirely flat. I called Helen to let her know that I would be a little late. While I was changing the tire it starting raining. Not too bad but it was more than a drizzle. After I removed the piece of glass from the front tire and replaced the tube I was ready to go, or so I thought. Just as I was about to get started, I noticed that the back tire was flat too. And then it started raining hard.

I was only carrying one spare tube. I do carry a patch kit so I could have tried to patch one of the punctured tubes, but this would have been difficult to do in the wet. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and called Helen to come pick me up. I will probably have Helen drive me to work tomorrow. I don't want to mess with patching the tube tonight.

No comments: