Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Longer Commute

For the past two days I've been working from my company's satellite office near Scott Air Force Base. This is a sneak preview of what my working location might be for the next year or so. Since this is about 30 miles from my house, it presents a commuting challenge for someone without a car.

Google maps estimates that it would take 40 minutes to get there if I was driving, about 2 hours using public transportation, and 2 hours and 45 minutes cycling. Using a combination of cycling and public transportation, I am able to make the trip in about an hour and a half.

If this becomes long term (which is the plan) I will have three options: continue with this commute, buy a car, or find a new job. I don't went to spend all day commuting. We've been a one car family for over 4 years so I'd hate to buy a car. But I also really like my job so I don't want to find a new one. There aren't any easy answers, but it's not a decision that I have to make right away.

No comments: