Wednesday, February 27, 2008

You win some, you lose some

I received my issue of American Randonneur in the mail yesterday. Included with it were the 2007 results. It was nice to see my name in the list of 2007 Super Randonneurs. Randonneurs USA definition of this is:

A special medal awarded to those randonneurs who successfully complete a challenging series of brevets (200, 300, 400, and 600-kilometers) in a year. A hard-earned honor unto itself and worthy of being any randonneur's goal for the cycling season, the Super Randonneur series of brevets is usually needed to enter a 1200-kilometer event.


Helen mentioned that I would not be earning that award this year. I told her, "Of course not, one of the brevets is on Rachel's birthday." Actually, I'm just hoping to be cleared to ride a bike by April 12 (the date of the first brevet). I don't plan on doing any century-plus rides for a while after that.


I guess I'll have to buy a new bike eventually. I've still got the hybrid, but I've gotten used to riding a road bike. I'm sure that Mary Kay at Maplewood Bicycle will be willing to sell me another one. Should I get another Trek Pilot? Before I bought the Pilot, I was considering a touring bike like the Trek 520. Things like my 4 day, 520 mile MS-150 ride seem like they would be better for the 520. I certainly have plenty of time to think about it.

1 comment:

Mike Dayton said...

Congratulations on your 2007 Super Randonneur status. Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Sincerely,

Mike Dayton
Editor, American Randonneur
http://ncrandonneur.blogspot.com/