Friday, March 7, 2008

Goals

I didn't set any specific cycling goals for this year. This is good because I would not have been able to meet them after the accident anyway. I did meet all of the goals that I set for last year: 6000 miles, the super randonneur series, and riding a century each calendar month.

Riding a century every month was harder than I thought it would be. Most of the centuries were solo because there are very few organized centuries around here (none for October through March) . For me, the hardest part about riding a solo century is getting on the bike. Once I've started, it's not very hard to finish. But in a lot of months, I kept putting it off until almost the last weekend because of laziness or other commitments. This meant that sometimes I was riding in less than ideal conditions.

Of course, my cycling goals for last year were things that were under my control. My goals right now are dependent on things that I can't control. I can't go back to work or put weight on my leg until I get my doctor's permission. The settlement with the other driver depends on the insurance company and lawyers.

I am very pleased with my lawyer so far. I am hopeful that we will be able to prove that the other driver is 100% at fault. She has talked to the witness and has looked at the sequence of lights. Everything that she has found out so far looks good. It also matches exactly with what I have been saying. After what I have been reading, I am not surprised that the Coca Cola driver lied about the accident. Telling the truth would be tantamount to admitting fault and he may have been worried about losing his job if he did that. That doesn't mean I am condoning the fact that he lied, just that I understand why he did it. What I don't understand is why he didn't give me his insurance information while he was in the hospital, and why he told his insurance company that he didn't know who I was. If this case were to go to trial (unlikely) maybe that could be used against him.

No comments: