Thursday, March 13, 2008

Not what I had hoped

I saw my hip doctor today. He gave me permission to go back to work but not much else. The only change in my hip precautions is that I can now put 30 pounds of pressure on my left leg. This really doesn't allow me to do anything new. I will see him again at the beginning of April and I should get more freedom then.

If you haven't heard enough about acetabulum fractures yet, I have a couple of links. This one is a series of pages that give a lot of information about acetabular fractures, surgery, and potential complications. I also found an illustration of the type of surgery that I had.

The more I learn , the more I realize that I have to temper my expectations. I had been told that it would take three months for my hip to heal. Well, the bones may be healed after three months, but it is going to take time after that to regain my strength. One thing I read said that I could expect up to 80% of my strength and movement back after 6 months, and up to 100% after 1 year. I just have to remind myself that the phrase "up to" is not a guarantee.

I am not going to be riding my bicycle for a while yet, but Helen is picking up the slack. She rode close to 4 miles on Grant's Trail today. Maybe we'll be able to do some rides together once I'm back in the saddle.

No comments: