Saturday, April 5, 2008

It's hard to get back on the bike

I rode my bike for the first time since the accident. It was hard to get back on the bike. I mean that literally. It was easy to ride but it was hard to lift my leg over the bike to get on. I ended up leaning the bike way over on its side and stepping over with my right (good) leg.

I rode a couple of times up and down the driveway to make sure I wouldn't have any trouble stopping. When I stop I put my left (injured) leg down so I wanted to make sure that this wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't an issue at all.

I rode up and down our street and talked to a few of the neighbors who were outside. Then I went to Maplewood Bicycle. The nominal reason for my trip was to look at helmets but mostly I wanted to show off my new walking and riding abilities. While I was there, I noticed that it was easier to walk without lurching. I think that the ride warmed up my muscles and joints and made walking easier.

The whole distance that I rode was about 2.75 miles. It felt great. I was slow but not horribly so. I was a little winded at the end but that was from hurrying along Manchester Rd. For the most part I took it slow and easy. I felt like I could have ridden farther but I wanted to ease into things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome.

Here is some inspiration for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOG83-TwIuM

Thanks for the update.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Great news, Andrew! First 2.75, then 275!